Last Wednesday began as any normal day would... get up early to get ready, help the boys with lunches, breakfast, spikey hair for Braden, etc... Then Colton and I were off to school for a Room Mom meeting. After that we headed to HEB for our regular weekly grocery shopping. Except this trip I had Hurricane Ike in the back of my mind and picked up 4 gallons of water and extra batteries along with milk, bread, cheese, etc... Late afternoon, calls started going around with friends with the million dollar question... What are your plans? I even tried to take a nap with Colton since the stress was building and I was trying to escape. After two National Weather Updates having Ike heading closer and closer, most of us decided to evacuate. Tom and I were still unsure and flashbacks of Rita were unnerving. I talked with my friend, Karen, and we decided to pack for 3 days and not really worry about all our prized possessions. Tom started to put the storm shutters up and I tried to get the boys to bed on time since they were to have school the next day. Tom and I tried to get a good night's sleep. Thankfully so... School was canceled at 5:45 a.m. on Thurs. morning and we decided to load up the boys and our stuff and caravan with Karen and the girls to Karen's parent's home in Huntsville, TX. We left about 9:30 and made 3 short stops. The boys were awesome (you will notice all 3 boys in the van eyes glued to the DVD player I bought from a friend, thanks Charlotte!), and we made it there without any problems. You can imagine my nerves, especially driving by myself and leaving Tom. Every time the traffic would back up my heart would stop and I just kept saying to God, "I just can't do this again..." Just at that moment traffic would move on and we made good time. We made it safely to Grandma and Grandpa Bleam's! Praise God it was not a repeat of our Rita evacuation! :)
"When I am afraid, I will trust in you." Psalm 56:3



No comments:
Post a Comment