After holding a spontaneous church service in Grandma and Grandpa Bleam's living room, we packed up and headed home. We were going knowing there was no power and I wasn't handling things well... Praise God again when our cell phone worked for a minute and we called home and heard my voice on our answering machine! We have power!!! We got separated from the Swiggards and since Tom and Scott went home hours after the storm had passed to unload our fridges and freezers, we didn't have much gas. I was a nervous wreck yet again, but God continued to guide and bless our decisions and we made it home just fine.
To see huge signs down, windows blown out, huge trees uprooted, mile long lines for gas and ice, common sights seen every day all boarded up... puts you in a really different world. Knowing full well God's power and plan we give him all glory and honor for truly sparing our community. Though there is vast devastation around us in all coastal communities, most things around here in our small corner of the world have minimal damage. Nothing that can't be fixed. We are home safe and sound with power and the boys are enjoying time at home with all their things with less stress than the past several days. I feel in la la land with all the devastation around and yet all is fine at our home. I have checked on all friends and our small group and everyone fared well. Some better than others. We have opened our home for anyone who needs a place to recharge, do laundry, get a bite, or sleep. So far we have only had the Swiggards who still do not have power. Tom's back is a mess from putting up the storm shutters and I am feeling so exhausted! The schools are closed until further notice. We haven't ventured out yet, but hear things are slowly coming open here and there. Most friends will stay evacuated until they know they have power. Our church suffered some damage, but again nothing that can't be fixed. We'll probably put together another spontaneous worship service somewhere since there will be no church services on Sunday. I'm so thankful that things worked out the way they did. Our friend, John the storm chaser, was down here the whole time and said, "The devastation in Chambers county (e.g. Crystal Beach) resembles that of Katrina. Certainly, a shift 30 miles further west in the landfall point and Houston would of had serious trouble much beyond the extended inconvenienced (no power, etc.) most are currently experiencing. We can be very thankful."
I am so thankful today for countless things and especially the cool front that is here now with highs in the mid 80's and lows in the mid 60's and I'm praising God in the storm! :)



1 comment:
Sara and Tom THANK THANK YOU THANK YOU for the pictures. We all have an extra bounce in our step this afternoon and heart full of joy at all that God has spared us! I loved reading your post, next time let's all evavuate to St. Louis and have a party up here esp, to enjoy the fall weather. I think we'll have to fit Ted Dres into the evening! We love you all-
Shawna and crew...
Post a Comment